Monday, May 3, 2010

100 miles... all over again

May is National Bike to Work Month. I was trying to figure out if I could do all of my commuting by bike this month but it doesn't seem possible. There is the logistical nightmare of getting clean clothes to the office as well as shuttling kids to soccer and basball games and practices. So my goal is to do 1/2 my commuting by bike- 1 way each day. I leave my car at work a few nights a week to make this work.

Commuting by bike is the best excercise for me. It's a 9.5 mile ride, mostly bike path, with 2 short but steep climbs. It takes around 34 minutes on most days. The bike path is loaded with wildlike. Last week I saw a heron perched on the side of the Mohawk searching for breakfast. Today there were yellow birds 9 (maybe goldfinches?) circling at the crest of the GE hill. Rabbits, squirrels, deer, turtles, gophers, geese and ducks all share my commute most mornings.

Best of all is that I get excercise without taking any time out of my day. It takes 25 minutes to drive to work, much of it sitting in a line of cars waiting to get to the Rexford bridge. On my bike I can buzz by the traffic, shoot across the bridge and be on the bike path in less than a third of the time it takes by car.

Cycling has become a big part of my life since I decided to ride 100 miles in the MS Follow the Foothills ride last summer. I'm doing it again this year, the ride is on July 10th. I hope you'll support me by making a donation or joining my team! Details are here: http://bit.ly/100miles4ms . I'm also using the Tour De Cure as a training ride this year, riding 50 or 62 miles on June 6th.

Let me know if you want to go for a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment