Monday, May 18, 2009

lost... agian

Getting lost on long rides is almost at the habit stage. Yesterday I set out for a 44 mile ride. Using Mapmyride I plotted out a course that started at home in Rexford, went out past Ballston Lake, through Malta, Mechanicville, Waterford, Cohoes and Latham. The plan was to meet up with @cleastagnitti and catch Jimmy's ball game.

Things started well. The first 9 miles are a repeat of all my training rides. It helps to have some idea of what to expect. After leaving Malta on Rt 9/67 there's some construction that has signs down. Missed the turn to Mechanicville. Not a big deal, only cost me a couple of minutes and an extra hill.

Mechanicville was the half way point. MMR sent me down a couple of streets that dead ended at the railroad tracks. Again, not a big deal.

Stopped at Stewart's for an energy bar and a fresh Gatorade and it was off to Waterford. Waterford bills itself as the oldest incorporated village in the United States. It's a cool little town that sits right where the Mohawk River meets the Hudson. It's also where the Erie Canal and Champlain Canal connect making it the perfect place for the annual Tugboat Roundup!

The real adventure started in Cohoes. The streets on my directions didn't seem to exist. I stopped to look around and happened to look up and see... the bike path! so I backtracked a little and after the steepest climb of the ride hopped on. After about a mile the path ended. Not what I expected since it should have gone all the way to Schenectady.

Bike route signs pointed down the hill and across the highway. Yes, down the hill that I just rode up. Another mile or so and I see a sign that says Green Island. Not where I want to be since that's heading toward Troy! Turn around, cross the highway and back up the hill to the bike path. It turns out I went the wrong way!

The rest of the ride was uneventful. Made it to Jimmy's game in the top of the 5th. They lost 7-5, first loss of the season. Jimmy had a single in the 3rd.

So I turned a 44 mile ride into 51 and know that I can do half a hundred. 7 weeks to train for the next half!

Please support my 100 mile ride for MS. Anything you can do will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment