Monday, July 6, 2009

counting the days

Just a few short days until the MS Follow the Foothills 100 mile ride. The heavy lifting part of my training is done, just a couple of short - 20-30 mile- rides early this week and then I'll let my legs recover the big ride!

Friday was my longest training ride to date- a 65 mile ride that started and ended at West Mountain. Here's a map of the ride:



The first 12 miles are basically up hill as I rode from West Mountain to Corinth and into the Adirondack Park. Click on the elevation button on the map and you'll get the idea. The ride took me around the long, northern finger of Great Sacandaga Lakeover the Batchellerville bridge and through the towns of Hadley and Lake Luzerne.

There's something about a steady rain that makes the Adirondack's feel more, well, Adirondacky. Friday did not dissappoint. As I crested the hill on West Mountain Rd heading toward the lake fog was rolling in between the mountains. A slight wind picked up and the sky darkened. All I could hope for was no lightening and luckily it held off. The rain, however, didn't. Fifteen miles in a steady drizzle/downpour. By the time I reached the little general store in Edinburg I was soaked and cold. Good time to stop for a couple of Gatorade's and a Powerbar.

As the rain let up and the sun started to peak through I was back on my bike heading up the North Shore Road. Great Sacandaga Lake is a huge, beautiful body of water that is all Adirondack's. Shoreline covered with towering pines and dotted with rustic camps.

Hard to believe that the big ride is here. I've been joking around that I have no idea if I'll be able to get out of bed on Sunday. Truth is that people with MS wake up that way every day. Not knowing if they'll be able to walk, play with their kids or dance their way through a Phish show. I glad that a few hours on my bike may help to find a cure someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment